The summer heat in A-Town has been intense. Thank goodness we are in mid August and approaching September. The kids are back in school here in Georgia so that means it’s time I transition into fall. Hello tights, sweaters and apples! Yes, apple season is approaching. I am so ready for a delicious apple caramel cake with walnuts and soft pockets of gooey caramel in each bite.
I discovered this recipe by accident. What was supposed to be a cookie turned into a wonderful afternoon coffee break kind of cake. I used the same recipe as my Chocoatcraisinuts cookie as the base. However, the apple chucks were so juicy that it turned the cookie dough into a cake-like texture. No problem! I love cake! So I baked it like a cake, drizzled caramel on top and called it a dessert. Every bite of this apple caramel cake will remind you of fall’s magnificent colors, flavors and scents.
Apple Caramel Cake
1/2 cup of ground oatmeal, finely ground in a food processor
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of light brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 large eggs
2 and 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon apple spice mix
2 apples, peeled and cubed
1 /2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup of soft and chewy caramel, chopped small
3 tablespoons caramel drizzle
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease flat pan and set aside.
2. Combine ground oatmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and apple spice mix in a bowl. Mix well and leave aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs and lemon juice. Add the dry ingredient and mix until everything is blended.
4. Add apple chunks, soft and chewy caramel and walnuts.
5. Spread the batter on the greased flat pan. Press it down evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tooth-pick test comes out clean.
6. Let cool and drizzle caramel on top. Serve and enjoy.