The home is like a playground for holiday decorations. I’m going nuts this year with new holiday decor. As I was shopping for holiday knickknacks, I came across a few things I thought I could totally make at home with the supplies I already had instead. One of the decor items was a canvas chalkboard for holiday greetings.
I know every one of us crafty girls have been to a wine and paint night experience. You know, the kind you and your girlfriend get together to paint the same picture. I don’t know about you but the paintings never come out so great for me but I do keep the finished canvases around just because. I have so many piled up that it’s time I re-purpose those canvases.
For this DIY (Draw It Yourself) project, I took each canvas and painted black chalk paint over it. I used a white chalk marker to write and draw over the canvas. What I got was new home decor that I didn’t have to pay a dime for. Here are two that I made this year. One was for fall which was more of a free-hand drawing. Hey, I got better with time. The other is for the holiday season. In this post, I will show you how to draw a canvas chalkboard for holiday greetings.
You will need:
Black chalk paint
White chalk marker
- Paint the canvas with black chalk paint and let it dry completely. Don’t forget to paint the edge and sides of the canvas.
- Use washi tape to evenly distribute in four sections. This will serve as a ruler to write your message straight.
- Shake the chalk markers really well and begin writing your message. I wrote “MERRY & BRIGHT”. Keep the font or handwriting the same throughout the message.
- Peel the washi tape off when done.
- Add a “smile” curve on the bottom of the message.
- Draw little leaves and stop before you get to the center of the curve. Continue drawing leaves on the other side of the curve.
- Draw two large loops over the center of the curve.
- Draw a larger loop connecting one end of the loop to the other creating a bow. Repeat on the other side.
- Draw the ribbon hanging over the bow. Shade in the bow but not the upper and lower loop.
- Repeat the same “smile” curve over the top of MERRY and fill in with only leaves.
NOTE: If you mess up, use a moist paper towel to wipe it off. Let it dry completely before continue drawing.
This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.