Every crafter has some use for a mason jar. I typically use them to store homemade sauces, leftover nuts, dried fruit, etc. My mason jars can be found in the kitchen, fridge and pantry. Surprisingly, I don’t use mason jars for craft projects as often as most people think. But that is about to change.
I proudly celebrate Christmas. I went all out this year with Christmas decorations around the house. Most are DIY decorations. If only you could see what I have done! My Christmas decorations consist of rustic reds, snow whites and plenty of holiday greenery. I also love any iconic holiday themes such as reindeer, Santa and doves.
One of my DIY rustic decors are these charming mason jar holiday lanterns! Woot! Woot! It has all of the holiday themes and colors I love. This DIY project was inspired by a Pinterest post I saw a while back. Of course I added my own unique touch. That is the vinyl stencils made from my Cricut Expression 2.
These mason jar holiday lanterns are so fun and easy to make. See the steps below and call some girlfriends over for a Pinterest craft party already! They also make great host or hostess gifts.
Mason Jar Holiday Lanterns
white acrylic craft paint
twine or ribbons
holiday vinyl stencils
Christmas tree trimmings
holly berries or cranberries
Make-up remover towelettes
- Peel the adhesive holiday vinyl stencils and stick it on the mason jar. Press firmly in.
- Paint white acrylic craft paint over the entire jar.
- Let the paint dry.
- Peel the vinyl stencils off the mason jars. Use make-up remover towelettes to clean paint pockets or blemishes.
- Tie a twine or ribbon around the neck of the mason jars.
- Fill the jar with 2-3 tablespoons water.
- Add fresh pine trimmings, holly berries or cranberries into the mason jar. Make sure it submerges just enough into the water.
- Add a candle on top of the items in step 7. The candle should sit above the water. The water prevents the candle from catching on fire and burning the items inside.
- Light the candles as you wish.
WARNING: Use as display only. Do not leave candle burning unattended. Keep away from children and pets.