About nine months ago, I joined a book club for the first time. I was hesitant at first because I wasn’t sure how I would balance my work, social and family life while reading a new book every 6-8 weeks. I wasn’t a diligent reader to begin with and I waffled over reading a non-fiction picked by someone else. Luckily, I know these girls in the book club so surely they won’t shame me if I fall a little behind. Fast forward 9 months and six books later, I’m still hanging in strong.
September is my turn to host a book club meeting. My selected book is called The One That Got Away by Simon Wood. It’s a thriller. I’m hosting dinner for the girls and I can’t be more excited! I also have a small surprise for them at the end of the night.
You see, having read six books you would think I owned a bookmark of some sort. Well, I don’t. And I don’t do e-readers. I like touching a real book but I hate folding the pages to mark my stopping point. That is why I made a collection of colorful tassel bookmarks. These tassel bookmarks make a great book club party favor! Wouldn’t you agree? I’ll leave it up to the girls to pick their favorite colors.
You can make your own collection of tassel bookmarks by following the easy instructions below.
1. Cut out the photos in squares. Round off the edges for a clean look.
2. Cut the card stock into a 6×2 strip of paper.
3. Use Mod Podge to glue the photos to the card stock.
4. Punch a hole at the top of the card stock.
5. Pull a 6 inch and a 10 inch strands of embroidery floss. Keep the floss in it’s wrapping.
6. Using the 6 inch strand, tie an even knot in the middle of the embroidery floss. Then tie a knot at the end of the strand.
7. Fold the floss in half.
8. Using the 10 inch strand, tie a small section under the halfway knot creating a head for the tassel.
9. Wrap the extra strands around the neck of the tassel and tie a double knot to secure the strand.
10. Trim off the rest of the embroidery floss to even out the skirt of the tassel.
11. Loop the tassel through the photo bookmark.
If you don’t want a photo bookmark, here are some other great ideas on what to hang your tassel on.
Congratulations! You now have a customized tassel bookmark.